China: A Couple's Vision Quest Journey



Dinah and Barry McNew are a semi-retired couple who have attended many of my workshops over the years including "Zen and the Art of Photography"at Santa Fe Workshops, "Spirit of Place: Guatemala", "Dramatic Portrait: Figure in the Badlands" and most recently "Spirit in the Middle Kingdom, China" in March.  I was so moved by the images they made and the experience they had in China and wanted to share some of them with you. 


Dinah McNew

Dinah McNew
"We began our photographic adventure together just over ten years ago. In the early years we often found ourselves in the same place with our cameras pointed in opposite directions—Barry wanted the big picture and I chose the small details.  While each of us still sees with a different perspective, our vision has grown closer over the years. Our love of landscape evolved into photography in which the human element was primary. This workshop was nothing short of amazing deepened by Doug’s encouragement to be present in the moment experiencing China visually, emotionally and spiritually." 
-Dinah & Barry McNew

Dinah McNew
Dinah McNew

"Minor White said, “When gifts are given to me through my camera, I accept them graciously.” The people of Yunnan welcomed us into their homes, shared their stories and accepted our lenses.  China is a spectacularly beautiful country with a long and rich history, but it is the people who make it special."
 -Dinah McNew
Dinah McNew
Dinah McNew
Dinah McNew



Barry McNew
Barry McNew

"I am searching for evidence of the divine when I photograph.  Doug has taught me to try to photograph how something feels emotionally rather than just document how it looks.  Rabbi Yaakov Asher Sinclair said, “The photographer as artist tries to make visible the invisible.”  These are scenes that some small internal voice said I should try to preserve--images of people, moments, or feelings that seem to me to contain a hint of divinity." 
- Barry McNew
Barry McNew 
Barry McNew
Barry McNew
Barry McNew
Barry McNew

Spaces are now available for our 2013 "Spirit of the Middle Kingdom, China" workshop. Visit www.vqphoto.com for a full list of upcoming workshops. 

I hope you can join us on an adventure soon. 
-Doug







2 comments:

  1. China is the great country in India. I had visited India in last summer vacation and had great experience. BTW thanks for sharing such a nice information with us.

    ReplyDelete